To understand what is leaky gut let first see what is gut?
The gut or the gastrointestinal tract is the long tube in the body of a person through which food moves during the digestion process.
The gastrointestinal tract includes the esophagus, the stomach, the small and large intestine.
Our gut is lined by a membrane with small pores present in it. These pores help to filter selected substances to pass through the membrane, not all the substances can pass through this membrane it helps to prevent the entry of harmful substances. In simple words, it works as a tight shield to prevent the entry of any harmful substance from getting inside of our body.
WHAT IS LEAKY GUT?
Leaky gut is a disorder of the gastrointestinal tract. Leaky gut is also known as ‘intestinal permeability.
People with leaky gut syndrome are growing around the world rapidly. When people talk about leaky gut they actually are talking about the damage of their gut outer layer which no longer can prevent the harmful substance from entering the system. The pores on the layer become larger and hence allow the entry of harmful substances like gluten, undigested food, bad bacteria to enter our system and hence causing severe damage to our health.
The leaky gut syndrome is not diagnosable by doctors as a disease. But there is much evidence now available that reveals that a leaky gut can be the reason for many health conditions.
REASONS FOR LEAKY GUT
The gut is a barrier that absorbs nutrients but sometimes it is affected due to some habits some of which are:
1. Alcohol, and some painkillers like ibuprofen which is an NSAID ( non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) are known to irritate bowel lining and damage the wall of our gut by opening the pores of our wall.
2. Alcohol irritates the bowel lining and result even in bowel ulcers.
3. Stress is another reason that affects our health to great extent. Stress results in a week immune response towards the elimination of toxins and causes inflammation of the gut.
4. Poor diet is also the reason leaky gut food like sugar, dairy products, and GMO food ( genetically modified food ) results in gut damage.
SIGN AND SYMPTOMS OF LEAKY GUT SYNDROME
1. Autoimmune diseases like celiac disease, Rheumatoid arthritis, lupus.
2. Depression, anxiety
3. Chronic fatigue
4. Hormonal disorder PCOS and PMS
5. Bloating, Gas
7. Irritable bowel syndrome
8. Seasonal allergies
9. Chronic fatigue
12. Fungal infection
HOW TO IMPROVE GUT HEALTH
1. Do not take the stress.
2. Do daily exercise
3. Sleep for the proper time period
4. Quit smoking and alcohol
5. Reduce use of NSAIDs
6. Eating food rich in fiber
7. Avoid GMO foods and sugar.
8. Eat less meat and dairy
9. Intake more probiotics for a healthy gut.
FOODS TO EAT FOR IMPROVING LEAKY GUT
1. Gluten-free grains, gluten-free oats, brown rice.
2. Sprouted seeds like flaxseed
3. Fruits like grapes, banana, papaya, oranges.
4. Vegetables like carrots, brinjal, beetroot, spinach, ginger
6. Nuts like peanuts and almonds
FOODS TO AVOID
1. Bakery products like cookies, pastries, cakes
3. Artificial sweeteners
5. Alcohol and carbonated drinks
6. Dairy products like milk, cheese
7. Snacks like crackers
8. Processed food
9. Gluten rich grain
A leaky gut is a danger to our body’s overall health. It may not be considered so serious but it is responsible for many other diseases. Although it is not clear yet how it is linked with causing other diseases in the body. It is the opening of pores of intestinal walls that allow the entry of toxins into our system.
The leaky gut syndrome can be prevented by doing exercise and maintaining a healthy lifestyle and eating healthy foods.