Kidney stone is also called renal calculi or *nephrolithiasis. Our kidneys produce uric acid as a waste product that is found in urine and blood. Intake of the appropriate amount of water removes this uric acid from our bodies. But when we do not drink enough water this uric acid in urine becomes concentrated unable to become dilute which further results in the formation of kidney stones. Accumulation of mineral and acid salts in the kidney and deposit together to form hard stones that are difficult and painful to pass in the urine.
A kidney stone can occur in any part of the urinary tract from the urinary bladder to the kidneys.
Stones are formed due to the concentration of urine making minerals stick and solidify.
An unhealthy diet, medical conditions, body weight, and some medications like calcium supplements can result in the formation of kidney stones.
There are four types of kidney stones
- Calcium oxalate
- Calcium Phosphate
- Uric acid
But the most common are calcium and uric acid stones.
So let’s see the food that you need to take and avoid for these types of kidney stones.
WARNING SIGNS FOR KIDNEY STONE
Lower back pain severe side and back pain below ribs.
- Painful urination.
- Foul smell in urine.
- Cloudy urine.
Nausea and Vomitings.
- Fever and chills.
Food To Eat And Avoid In Calcium Oxalate Stones
- Drink plenty of water.
- Eat more citric fruits as citrate help to prevent the formation of stones. Citric fruits like lemon, oranges, lemonades can be eaten.
- Reduce salt intake. Try to find unsalted or low salted food. Food like tomato juice, canned food, Chinese food is high in salt.
- Eat a low-fat diet.
- Eat a low protein diet. Take animal protein in a controlled way. Animal protein which may need to keep in control include beef, chicken, fish, eggs, milk
- Take calcium inappropriate amount. It may not look right to take calcium in calcium oxalate stones but taking calcium in the right amount results in preventing the formation of calcium stones. Ask your physician how much calcium should be taken to keep your bones healthy.
- Take doctor advice before taking fish oil and vitamin C as they may be harmful to you.
- If you have calcium oxalate stone then you have to limit your calcium oxalate-rich food like beets, potatoes, spinach tomatoes in vegetables. In fruits like canned fruit salad, grapes, strawberries are high in calcium oxalate. Other foods like tea, coffee, tofu, nuts chocolates are to be avoided.
- Do not take extra calcium unless advised by a physician.
Foods To Eat And Avoid In Calcium Phosphate Stones
Reduce sodium by taking less salt. Salt is found in canned and packed foods and fast foods. Sodium is responsible for forming stones in the kidney. Ask your doctor for telling you how much amount of sodium is needed for you.
Eating more animal protein may result in kidney stones. In order to prevent stones caused by protein you need to reduce intake of protein but also you have to maintain protein level in the body so you can replace animal protein with plant-based protein which includes:
Beans, peanuts, peas, tofu, butter, soy milk, sunflower seeds, almonds, cashews, walnuts.
Food To Avoid In Uric Acid Stones
Here is a list of food that you need to avoid while uric acid stones. These foods include:
- Dried beans
- Organ meat
- Also avoid fatty food, icecreams, and fried foods.
- Increase intake of citric food and fruits.
- Drink plenty of fluid.
- Eat enough carbs.
- Limit your animal protein intake and instead take plant-based protein.
- Losing weight if you are overweight is necessary for people with uric acid stones.
Food To Avoid In Cystine Stones
Drinking plenty of water is necessary if you want to prevent cystine stones. Ask to doctor how much water you should drink in a day.
How To Maintain Our Kidney Health
- Keep yourself hydrated.
- Water is a natural detoxifier it cleans your kidney by dissolving kidney stones and hence maintain the optimal health of your kidneys.
- Intake more citrus fruits like lemons as they can help to dissolve kidney stones naturally.
- Fruits rich in water-soluble fibers like apple watermelon, papaya are good for kidney health as they act as anti kidney stones.
- Eat foods rich in magnesium. Magnesium can help in preventing the formation of stones and help to dissolve the old ones. Magnesium-rich food like green leafy vegetables, bananas, soya beans, pumpkin seeds, black coffee, low-fat yogurt is a good source of magnesium.
- Eat food with natural calcium though you may think why calcium but calcium from food will bind with calcium oxalate.
- If you are overweight exercise regularly.
- Avoid carbonated drinks like colas, sodas.
- Add more fiber to your diet.